Lore Submission Thread

Log Date/Time (Local): 41y_94d_1856m
Log Date/Time (Universal/Calypso Time): 55Yac_45D_1345

I’m not sure who wrote the previous entry 41y_94d_1836m in my research log, but it was not me. Unfortunately it seems these science log devices do not have a delete function, so I’m left with having to write this journal entry disavowing my previous journal entry. Again, if anyone is reading log entry 41y_94d_1836m, the author is not me (Feng Zho). I don’t know who inserted it into my journal.

On a side note, they should really introduce a security protocol that includes identification/authentication into these devices. Encryption would also be useful.

I turned around and quickly ran back up the path, but not before seeing one of the Stel brigands draw a weapon and fire it in my direction. As I dove into the bush, I felt a pain in my right foot, and smelled the scent of burnt flesh.

Don’t look, I told myself.

I looked, and nearly passed out.

There was a 2 centimeter hole above my right ankle. The laser blast cauterized my blood vessels, so there was no bleeding, but I could see bone where the blast and burned a hole in my lower leg. I attempted to steel myself as the wave of pain kicked in. I hope you may never know the sensation of having a 2 centimeter diameter hole burnt out of your leg.

Nice job buddy, I told myself sardonically. No restoration chip and no armor and a lone walk all by your lonesome. Will have to rethink some life choices. I heard the two Stel walk up the path towards me. I reached for my pistol. My holster was still empty. I had forgotten to pick up my laser pistol before starting to run back to the outpost to get help. There I was, totally defenseless on the floor with a hole in my leg, going into shock. Not a good look.

The two Stel came into view, with their weapons drawn. The tall Stel man had a thick beard and black hair, and a scar on his right forehead. He spoke first. “So, where’s the Resa?” he said in a tone that suggested he really didn’t care if I lived or died…

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” I replied.

The other Stel snickered. “Let’s just kill this one and go find the Resa. I’m sure she couldn’t have gotten far with her wounds,” the female Stel said, as she raised her rifle to my chest.

The male Stel pushed the laser rifle barrel down towards the ground. “Yes, we will, but I’d like to know a bit more about the Elysium’s plans in this area. I see there’s a teleporter being installed here. Want to tell me a bit more about your supply delivery schedule? A little help and I can reduce unnecessary pain in your demise,” the male Stel said, chortling in amusement at himself, and pointing his laser pistol at my left leg.

I said nothing, and closed my eyes as I braced myself to get shot again. I heard a laser blast followed by the smell of burnt flesh. But this time, I felt no pain. The female Stel started screaming.

I opened my eyes. In front of me was the lifeless body of the male Stel lying face down in the dirt with a hole in his chest that was still smoking. I swallowed back the urge to throw up, as I could see the Stel’s innards. His body was already vanishing as whichever Stel revival was rebuilding his physical body. I could see Linara and Julian standing before me with their guns drawn. I felt tears of relief well up in my eyes.

The female Stel, still screaming, had run off into the brush. Without a word, Julian ran off to chase after her. I looked at Linara. “So happy to see you guys,” I said weakly.

“Yeah, we had to send the search party after you didn’t come back right away like you said you would,” she replied. “Nice hole in the leg you got there.”

“Haha, so funny.”

Linara grinned and started applying her restoration chip on my wounds. The hole in my leg got smaller and smaller as my tissues and bones regenerated, until my wound was fully healed. The miracles of modern science! I rubbed my leg where the wound had been. “I’ll never get used to that,” I mulled. In the distance, there was a laser blast. Two minutes later, we saw Julian come back out of the brush towards us.

“She won’t be bothering us here for a while,” Julian said. Julian was older, probably in his late forties, with a large build but moved in battle like a dancer that one might find disconcerting if you have never seen him fight. In contrast to Linara’s lighthearted personality, Julian was serious, and terse in his conversations.

“Let’s get you back to the outpost,” Linara said, as I picked myself up, testing my newly healed right leg.

“Not yet,” I replied, “I need to pick up my laser pistol, and we need to help a wounded Resa.” I started walking towards the spot where I had left the wounded Resa woman, and ignored the very confused looks on Linara and Julian’s faces.

Log Date/Time (Local): 41y_95d_0101m
Log Date/Time (Universal/Calypso Time): 55Yac_45D_1930

Specimen: Scale Pendant

Ostensibly, the appearance of this sample seems to be a scale from the Daudaormur creatures in the bogs and marshlands near the enchanted forest. The shape, color, and texture of the scale-like object appears comparable to that of the Daudaormur. However the size of the scale is several times larger than that which exists on an actual Daudaormur. Additionally, after spectroscopic analysis, the elemental composition and density is unlike any biological material I know about found on Next Island.

I would conjecture that this scale is actually manufactured rather than of biological origin. My understanding of biology of the creatures on Next Island leads me to believe that this can not originate by any natural means. Additionally, I do not understand the energy signatures that are being emitted by this specimen, except to say that it seems to match some of the interference I have been experiencing in my work to perform the teleporter install at the outpost, much to my dismay.

On a whim, I modeled the expected resistance to different damage types using my composition and energy measurements.I am uncertain where the Resa woman acquired this object, but I may know why the Stel were after her. The material seems highly useful for reinforcing against damage from close quarter combat as well as resistance to acid venoms.

At the risk of sounding insane, I have been having extremely vivid dreams. I remember being called towards a cave, of ancient battles, and oversized Daudaormurs. The dreams recur, and it is as if some force is drawing me towards something, but I don’t know what it is. But the dreams seem so real, as if I can almost touch it. I know it is just a dream though. I think.

“So what did you find?” Linara asked, as I completed my study of the scale pendant from the Resa woman.

“I’m not sure,” I replied. “How is she doing?”

“Still asleep. Her wounds are fully regenerated, but it may take some time for her mind to forget the shock of her wounds.”

I looked towards the resting form in the bed at the far corner of the room. “What a strange day,” I muttered.

“I’ll say,” Linara replied with a smile. “So what did you determine from all your gadgets?”

“The pendant is not from Next Island. Or rather, it doesn’t seem to be of any natural origin on Next Island. I’ve never seen anything like it,” I said.

Linara sat quite for a minute. “So, any idea where it is from?”

“No, but I did find the same energy signatures from it that are interfering with my teleporter install. It is like the noise interference preventing me from frequency matching with the network is the same as that emanating from that pendant. I’ve never seen matter produce energy signatures like that. I’m in uncharted territory here. Oh, and modeling suggests the material has military uses for armor reinforcement. It is as advanced if not more than any of the reinforcing materials we have available to us.”

Linara raised an eyebrow, “So how does a Resa come to acquire such an item, one would have to ask.”

“I don’t know. I need to find out,” I replied.

“We should report this to the commander then,” Linara suggested.

“Yeah, but I want to get the full story from the Resa first,” I replied as I looked over to the sleeping form of the Resa woman. “I need to understand what is going on, before it gets hushed up and hidden in some archive somewhere.”

Linara nodded, and the sleeping form on the bed began to stir.

4 Likes