Lore Submission Thread

A Next Island Love Story by Pope L’Brung

Book 7, Chapter 1

My dear readers, I would love to tell the story of my bravery - about how I swam in shark-infested waters beneath Resa Docks to help assemble the Continuum Transfunctioner. I wish I could regale the tale of how I conquered my biggest fear and completed the mission with feelings of pride and glory.

The truth is…I hid in a sleipnir. My teammate, PK, had to complete this task by himself. I am terrified of sharks.

PK combined the blue, red, and yellow electronic items we found hidden around the docks. They created a larger item called a Continuum Transfunctioner, a mysterious and powerful artifact. PK returned from beneath the docks and handed the strange item to me.

As soon as I touched it, I sensed a message in my head - a warning. I cannot return this to the N.E.O., they will use it to further their own ends, and that may displace the Haruspex! Portal travel must be done responsibly and carefully.

I told PK that we shouldn’t return this item to the N.E.O. but instead take it to the Haruspex Elder for advice. I couldn’t fully explain why, but I just ‘sensed’ it. He teased me about hiding from the sharks, but agreed with my suggestion.

We both hurried to the Resa Docks teleportation portal and I’ll confess - I was happy to be away from this place. As we began to telport from Resa Docks to Tanzanite View, I held the strange new item in my hands. Again, I had an inner sensation. The power of this artifact is exceeded only by its mystery and strangely its mystery is exceeded only by its power.

We arrived at Tanzanite View and walked along the grassy knoll up toward the Haruspex Elder. The Elder appeared in front of us. We were greeted with a feeling of suprise and mild joy.

Book 7, Chapter 2

“Hello, human friends,” spoke the Elder. “What brings you our way? Did you learn the way of the New Elysian Order, or did they elude you?”

“We found them, Elder,” I replied. “They are not evil, but they are no less selfish and arrogant for it. They sent us to find this.” I held the strange Coninuum Transfunctioner item up in front of the Elder.

“Oh dear friend, this is truly a gift.” The Elder continued, “The Demera sent its minion Resa to remove this device from our portal chamber, and they managed to grab it. It is a mysterious and powerful device. We feared it lost or destroyed. But why did you not return this item to the Order, as requested by them?”

PK nodded and gave me a look of approval. I knew it was best to bring the item to the Elder instead of taking it to the N.E.O.

I confidently answered the Elder as to why we didn’t return the item to the New Elysian Order. “That future is not what we need, Elder. Citizens of this planet must coexist, must defend each other, and must develop together to thrive. We cannot allow the N.E.O., as powerful and well intended as they are, to impose their will on other races. This cannot be allowed.” I felt confident and brave in my response to the Elder, although I wasn’t quite sure where this confidence came from.

I trusted the Haruspex. Of course I wanted to find Jihkanna, but I felt a connection with the Haruspex faction. The Elder seemed caring, wise, and compassionate toward civility. I think we did the right thing.

“Your faithfulness, wisdom, and integrity do you credit, humans,” the Elder replied. “We will strive for many of your year to continue to demonstrate our gratitude for your choices.”

Ahhh, a sense of relief. We had completed the mission that we intitally set out to accomplish. We had earned the trust of the Haruspex.

Book 7, Chapter 3

I was beaming and full of pride. PK and I had completed our mission. I came to Next Island seeking love and PK had come seeking time travel. The Haruspex agreed to help both of us with our quests if we could earn their trust.

We now stood before the Haruspex Elder. We had returned an important device to them - something called a Continuum Transfunctioner. I suspected it had something to do with time travel technology. The Elder expressed gratitude toward us and confirmed that we had gained the trust of the Haruspex.

PK smiled and gave me a pat on the back.

The Elder then spoke again. “However, in full irony, I must ask that you deceive now. Deceive the Order for us. Deceive them for all of this planet’s hope. We will give you a false copy of the Continuum Trasnfunctioner to deliver to the N.E.O.”

With risk of sounding cynical, I should have seen this coming. Our quest was NOT over. Once again, we were asked to complete another task, or link, in an ongoing mission chain. Sigh.

The Elder went on to explain that the New Elysian Order wanted to reverse engineer the Continnum Transfunctioner and that they could possibly destroy the planet while trying. He wanted us to give the N.E.O. a fake device to distract them until their true motives were known.

“The risk to you is great, but we ask that you undertake this task, this noble quest, for our future, and the future of you people on our home. Will you do this? Will you embrace this planet as your home, and help save it from zealots?”

The stakes had increased. This mission now seemed to be about something much bigger than finding a girl, or learning the secret of time travel for personal riches. This mission involved helping save an entire planet.

Book 7, Chapter 4

PK and I had been on Next Island for a few days now. We had travelled across the planet meeting various people and performing various tasks. We encoutered contacts that were helpful and some that were hostile. The pressure was rising on the importance of these tasks.

The N.E.O. had sent us on a mission to help find a lost scout. We were unable to find the scout but we did find what the scout was looking for - an item called a Continuum Transfunctioner. Rather than return the item to the Order, we opted to bring it to the Haruspex Elder. We were thanked and rewarded with trust but now were being asked to perform another task. We were being asked to deceive the Order and return a fake device to them. We were informed that the safety of the entire planet, and its people, were at stake.

We agreed.

The Elder finished the conversation with us. “Then go with our graces, warriors. Return here when you are finished, should you both live. We will greet you as members of our circle.”

PK and I walked back to the teleportation portal at Tanzanite View. We were asked to deliver a fake copy of the Continuum Transfunctioner to our N.E.O. contact. I asked him if he was comfortable with this mission.

“I’m in if you’re in, kid.” he replied.

Of course I was in, but I did feel a slight call of conscience. Was this the right thing to do? Was deception the best strategy?

We teleported to Flash Point to meet the N.E.O. guards that originally asked us to help them. They had been a bit cheeky with us when we first met them but relaxed and eventually asked for our assistance.

Now we were meeting with them again to deceive them. I was unsure of what to expect.

Book 7, Chapter 5

We walked into the building next to the Flash Point teleportation portal. I recognised the place from when we were here before.

We spotted the N.E.O. guard that we spoke with last time. PK and I approached her and greeted her. She was shocked to discover that we were still alive. I shuddered thinking about the sharks.

After a brief discussion (without much pleasantries) we informed her that we didn’t find the scout but we did find a strange item. I tried to conceal my nervousness as I handed her the fake device.

“What is thing for?” I slyly asked, trying to gain information.

“Oh, you would not understand. Do not try and contemplate its mysteries too long. You might damage whatever minimal analytical capabilities you do possess,” she replied.

Again with the cheeky insults.

To our relief, she accepted the forgery and then rewarded us with a rare blueprint that gave instructions on how to craft a piece of Arcticus armor. PK tucked the blueprint away in his backpack.

No hostility. No guns drawn. This actually went pretty smooth.

I whispered to PK, “Let’s get out of here before she asks us to do another task.”

We quickly exited the building and stepped on the teleportation portal to return to Tanzanite View.

Once at Tanzanite View, PK and I again approached the Haruspex Elder. We informed him that our ruse at Flash Point was successful. A sense of pride and accomplishment filled us both. The Elder expressed joy that we survived and gratitude that we completed the mission.

The Elder confirmed the existence of a time-travel portal and shared its location with us. PK’s eyes widened as the Elder spoke of its possibilities.

The Elder also granted us titles of Haruspex Ambassadors. He then concluded with, “Go in peace, dear friends. The path before you is set but needs your footstep upon it.”

1 Like